Williams,TI, Sgt,South Wales Borderers, No.1 Commando/SBS - MM-Periodic 3909922, B'Group SBS .On the night of 16th-17th November, 1944 Sgt Williams was the Number 2 of the leading foldlboat which attacked an enemy motorboat on the Chindwin. Throughout the action he fired his TSMG with such accuracy that the enemy was forced to turn away as planned, towards the LMG. During the boarding, this NCO helped to bring his foldboat alongside with precision and efficiency, and on the return journey kept the enemy well covered. On the 29th-30th November, 1944 Sgt Williams was in charge of the bren gun in the bows of the assault boat ordered to attack the enemy off Kalewa. Throughout the and showed marked ability and leadership. His continued cheerfulness, coupled with a willingness, was at all times a source encouragement to all ranks.(LG.17.01.46)

Aird,W, 3194769, Pte KOSB, No.1 Commando, MM.At Kangaw Hill 170(Map ref 515414, Myebon Sheet 1/25000) on 23rd January 1945 Pte Aird was the bren gunner in a trench which bore the brunt of a fierce Jap night counter-attack. Early on a grenade landed in the trench inflicting multiple wounds of the back to Pte Aird. He made no mention of his wounds and manned his bren gun awaiting the attack His trench was continually assaulted for over two hours and every attack was repulsed. In the morning one enemy officer and three other ranks were found dead 3ft from Pte Aird's bren gun.The position was under spasmodic MMG and mortar fire for five hours. Pte Aird completely regardless of his own wounds maintained his gun in action with a selfless courage and devotion to duty that inspired men who were with him.(LG.15.05.45) Far East
Allen,EP 14627308,Pte S.Wales, No.1 Commando MM.Arakan 1945.On the 31st January 1945 on Hill 170 near Kangaw Pte Allen was no.2 on the a Bren Gun of the forwsard platoonwhich was ebing heavily attacked.Early in the action he was completely deafened by a grenade burst,but he stayed with his gun until the no.1 was killed and the gunp put out of action. Then on his own accord he moved around under heavy fire taking the place on several Brens whose no.2's had been killed or wounded. Finally,although wounded, when a Pte was seriously wounded by his side, he carried him on his back despite heavy MMG fire to a place of safety.
Baker,A, Grenadier Guards,2614413, No.1Commando MM.On 23rd February 1943 in the area of cemetery hill the Germans carried out an assault in force on the left flanko of No.1 Commando.The attack was put in with agreat determination from the rear left. L/Cpl Baker was the No.1 of a MMG supporting B Sub-Section of Morgans Troop on the left.When the attack opened up this NCO immediately brought fire to bear on the enemy.However , as the Germans were advancing from behond they were outside the arc of fire of the MMG. Seeing this L/Cpl Baker with complete disregard for his own safety and with the help of his no.2 moved the gun into a position from which he could bring fire to on the enemy.In order to do this L/Cpl Baker had to change his position in the gun pit and by doing so left himself exposed to the enemy. As a result of the fire,however, he was instrumental in beating off the attack.The gun position was under heavy fire throughout the engagement and the attack was so determined that some enemy were found dead within 20 yds of the gun. The great courage, coolness and devotion to duty of L/Cpl Baker was instrumental in preventing the position from being over run. N.Africa & Western Med
Barnes,E, 4748087,Act/Bdr ,Royal Artillery No.1 Commando MM .On 31st January 1945 at Hill 170 near Kangaw, Bdr Barnes was an NCO in No.1 Platoon ordered to counter-attack on the right flank.The leading section of his platoon came under intense enemy MMG fire and grenades.,the Officer and Platoon Sergeant being hit immediately. In a short space of time most of the platoon were casulaties and Bdr Barnes though wounded in the thigh, took charge of th eleading men , supervised the evacuation of the wounded, and then made a supreme effort to reach his Platoon Sgt who was severley wounded. Despite intense enemy fire he managed to reach his Sgt drag him back some 20 or 30 yds . Owing to loss of blood from his wound he was then in need of support himself, he recovered slightly and when put on stretcher refused to be taken back, got up and walkedaway saying that other men needed it more than he did..(LG.19.04.45)
Beattie,JS, 14241854, Cpl,R.Scots,No.1 Commando, MM.On 4th March 1943 at the battle of the Mine near Sedjenane the above mentioned NCO was instrumental in saving the lives of a great number of his colleagues.At about 1500 hrs he observed a German Patrol equipped with a MG 34 moving to a position from where they could bring fire to bear on his troop.His troop were unaware of the danger .Seeing this Cpl Beattie took up a fire position with his rifle and accounted for six of the Germans including the Machine Gun team.During the whole time Cpl Beattie was under heavy mortar fire.By this action Cpl Beattie undoubtedly saved the lives of a great number of his comrades. During the remainder of this battle this NCO constantly showed great powers of leadership, and throughout his determination and devotion to duty was an example to all who saw him.(LG.22.03.43) (North Africa Western Med)
Christie,TJ,337687,Lt,Royal Signals, No.1 Commando,Bde Signal Troop, MC.Lt Christie is the Lines Officer in the 1st Commnado Bde Signal Troop. He was in charge of the line party detailed to produce line communication across the Rhine after the Bde had made good bridgehead at Wesel. It was considered viatl that this line should be laid at the earliest possible moment. This task was extremely hazardous.All bridges across the Rhine had been demolished and there was a considerable shelling and sniping of all bridge exits.As soon a message had been received that the objective had been captured, Lt Christie took a small picked line party to down to the demolished railway bridge. At this point the town of Wesel had not been completely cleared of the enemy and the line party had to work in full view of the enemy machine gun post sited upstream on the east bank of the River.Ordering his small party to pay out the line ,Lt Christie commenced climbing across the twisted bridge spans carrying the line with him. At times he had to climb girders over 100 ftabove the river while at other times he picked his path along spans which were partlysubmerged in water. The pull on the quadruple cable whenever it touched the water was tremendous,nevertheless by sheer courage and determination,Lt Christie crossed the full 1500 ft length of the demolished bridge under heavy shell fire and spasmodic sniping .(LG.11.10.45) NW Europe after D-Day
Christopher,RW, 5990123 ,Cpl ,Beds&Herts, HQ, No.1 Commando, MM.1.)This NCO maintained a consistently high standard of gallantry during the following Commando Operations.;-(a) Siciliy: When a Pte: took part in actions near Cassible,Torre Cuba and Agone. In the last named he was recommendedfor a DCM by his CO(Lt Col J.Durnford-Slater DSO RA , now Brigadier).(b) Italy: When a L/Cpl: took part in specialCommando Operations of a hazardous nature at Bova Marina and at Termoli. He showed indifference to his personal safety and great coolnes under fire when acting as runner during five separate engagements. (c)North-West Europe: When a Cpl: Landed with the leading wave of a Commando on D-Day and was in action for 2.5 months.He was always a volunteer for any dangerous duty and throughout,his boldness ands cheerfulness were outstanding.(d)Burma:When a Cpl: acted as a runner during Commando Operations on the Arakan coastnotably at Myebon and Kangaw( Hill 170). At the latter engagement he was for twelve hours within grenade range of the enemy , who were making repeated attacks ,regardless of losses.Cpl Christopher displayed his usual coolness under fire .He acted as guide in a difficult night relief and later,by personally directing the fire of one of our detachments,silenced enemy light automnatic fire which had been causing casualties.2.Cpl Christopher has taken part altogether in 8 opposed landings with Commandos. He has shown indifference to danger during his service.Insytances of his gallantry, typical of his conduct,are given below:- (a)At Agone,( Sicily) 14th July, 1943 he was acting as a runner and twice succeeded in getting important messages to forward troops, under machine gun and mortar fire.On the second occassion he was under fire of a tank, firing an 88mm gun at a range of 250 yds. Later , during the withdrawl from a position he was the only man left withthe second in Command of the Commando, who was enabled, with his assistance,to rally 18 stragglers and to talke the offensive once more.There is little doubt that without his assistance most of the stragglers would have been taken prisoner. In fact, they were able to beat off a strong German patrol and return safely to our lines.(b) At Amfreville 9th June,1945 a troop of No.3 Commando suffered heavy casulaties during German attacks, which werefollowed by frequent and heavy shelling. The position was only half dug, and shells kept bursting overhead in trees. Cpl Christopher exposed himself in fearlessly evacuating casualties. When one of the soldiers was half buried by part of a wall , which collapsed on the slit trench ,he dug him out with his hands.This took a long time and was in the middle of a severe and accurate barrage.His conduct was a splendid example to the young soldiers present ,few of whom had been in action before. It seemed almost miraculous that he was not hit on this occassion. 3.There can be few NCO's who have had such experience in action against the enemey in a Commando as Corporal Christopher, and none who have shown suchindifference to personal danger.His services have not so far been rewarded ,although he hasbeen recommended by his Commanding Officer once for a DCM and once for a Mention In recognition of exemplary conduct on numerous occassions, in particular at Agone in Sicily and Amfreville in Normandy(LG 29.11.45)
Coker,JT, 14604363, Pte, RWK, No.1 Commando, MM.Araken 1945.On 31st January 1945, at Hill 170 near Kangaw,Pte Coker was No.2 on an LMG ordered to go forward to a weapon pit where the two previous men had been killed. His No.1 on the gun was killed immediately after his arrival as the pit was under continual enemy fire.He took over the gun and continued firing.Two other men were sent to join him but were killed instantaneously. His section Sgt then joined him in the trench manning the Bren belonging to the two men just killed. The Section Sgt was then killed and Pte Coker's bren put out of action. He immediately took over his Sgt's bren and continued firing. He was then joined by another man with a haversack full of grenades and between them they enabled a bren gunner who had been cut off, to rejoin them. Throughout the day Pte Coker showed great coolness and courage in the face of great difficulties and was throughout regardless of his own safety.(LG.19.04.45)
Crowe,J 313358, L/Sgt,Seaforth Highlanders ,No.1 Commando, MM.Arakan,At Hinythaya on 23rd November 1944, L/Sgt Crowe was commanding a sub-section in action for the first time in an attack on strongly held enemy positions. His tasks were to secure the identifications and take a prisoner. When a hand grenade was thrown into anenemy trench and appeared to have disabled the occupants, this NCO rushed forward and pulled out one of the Japanese who died almost immediately. Another had been stunned by L/Sgt Crowe tackled him himafter a hard struggle secured him with the aid of two of his men,preventing him from committing suicide. During this engagement he was under constant fire from enemy machine guns and well concealed snipers. His coolness and determination in carrying out these tasks were an inspitring example to his sub-section andresulted in capturing of a prisoner, who was in excellent physical condition, and has given valuable information. (LG.22.03.45)
Dawson, JJY, 23351, Capt, U/K No.1 Commando, MC.On 31st January 1945, at Hill 170 near Kangaw Capt Dawson as a Medical Officer carriedout his duties with exemplary courage and coolness throughout. He tended to the wounded men who were still under enemy fire in exposed places, and helped carry them to a shallow slit trench where he gave them furter attention before evacuation, though still exposed to firehimself. The whole day long he moved about among the wounded showing completly disregard for hslit trench where he gave themis personal safety, and altogether dressed and evacuated 90 casualties most of whom he attended to under constant enemy fire in theforward area . (LG 19.04.45)
Dockerill,AH, 940903,L/Sgt,Royal Artillery,No.1 Commando, DCM.On 28th March 1942, during the Commmando Raid at St.Nazaire,France. L/Sgt Dockerill as a member of the demolition party under Lt Chants Command, assisted his Officers and other members of the party. who had been wounded to climb from the wrecked bows of the destroyer, HMS Campbeltown , on to the dock side. L/Sgt Dockerill,carrying Lt Chant's equipment , a 60 pound rucksack,then assisted him to their objective, the pumping station of dry dock. This was done under enemy fire. L/Sgt Dockerill again assisted Lt Chant in descending to the pumping chamber, 40 feet below the ground.His work in the pumpingstation was magnificent. He stayed with the officer while the latter fired the charges, and although the fuses were only set for about 1.5 minutes,he waited to assist him to climb the stairs to the ground floor, a difficult feat, as the officer could only move slowly and it was completely dark. He got Lt Chantout with a few seconds to spare before the explosive blew up. When the force attempted to fight out of the town and docks ,heavy opposition was encountered.L/Sgt Dockerill,as a forward scout,armed with only a colt automatic and grenades ,assisted in leading the force through the streets in quick time. When he ran out of ammunition and grenades he used his fighting knife and inflicted many casualties on the enemy.L/Sgt Dockerill was outstanding in his courage and devotion to duty.Throughout the entire action he showed a total disregard for his own safety. (LG.05.07..45)
Downey,AH, 828326,BSM,Royal Artillery,No.1 Commando, MM.Arakan 1945.On 23rd January 1945 at Kangaw Hill 170(map refd 515414 Myebon Sheet East 1/25000) BSM Downey was in a keytrench which was fiercely attacked for 2 hours by night.Early on he was wounded with multiple grenade wounds of the back and sniper fire penetrating the base of his forehead and through his nose. All the occupants of the trench were wounded.He helped evacuate 2 casualties and withdrew. He then,although in great pain and under heavy MMG and grenade fire at point blank range,went forward and brought in a casualty wounded in both legs.He refused treatment for his wounds until all other casualties had been dealt with and remained in action until 5 hours later with the situation completely in hand he was ordered out of the battle. (LG.19.04.45)
Durrant,TF,Sergeant , Royal Engineers, attached No.1 Commando, VC
Evans,CG, 4078107,Cpl S.Wales Borderers ,No.1 Commando, BEM. Citation Captured -March 1943(Tunisia). Escaped to Stockholm August 1944 (LG.09.11.44)
Garner-Jones GJ, 92411 Capt, Royal Welch Regt, No.1Commando, MC.Arakan On the night 22nd-23rd November this officer by a skilful night march crossed the Ton Chaung and surrounded a Japanese platoon in Hinthaya. He led the troop to the assault at dawn, achieving complete surprise.He drove the enemy from strong bunker positions . His troop killed 6, wounded 8 and took one live Jap prisoner. Capt Garner-Jones himself accounted for several of the enemy. During this action he was everywhere exposing himself without the least regard for personal danger.He inspired his men by his courage and his sound tactics .After this success he withdrew his men without loss being the last to leave.After this success he withdrew his men without loss being the last to leave.(LG 22.03.45)
Irving,WH,Fus,R.Fusiliers,No.1Commando, MM (Immediate).Arakan 1945.At Kangaw Hill 170 (Map ref 515414,sheet Myebon 1/25000) on 23rd January1945,Fus Irving was in charge of troop wireless set. At midnighty he had multiple grenade wounds of the back inflicted by an enemy grenade.Refusing treatment and evacuation he maintained communications all night.His set was hitthree times. His courage and devotion to duty enabled vital messages to be passed through the action.(LG.19.04.45)

Knowland,GA,323566, The Norfolk Regiment,(Attached Commandos) VC
Larcher,JGL, 235098, Lt, Recce Corps,No.1Commando, MC.On 31st January 1945 at Hill 170 Kangaw Lt Larcher was commanding a Platoon which was ordered to reinforce the forward troop.He carried out this task with considerable initiative and skill at a critical time without regard to his own personal safety. At this satge he exposed himself freely in order to rescue a number of wounded men.Later finding that the enemy were working round the right flank he immediately organised and led an immediate counter attack which was uccessful and inflicted heavy casualties.(LG.19.04.45)
Notley,GL,Sgt,RAMC,No.1 Commando, MM.On 31st January 1945 at Hill 170, Kangaw Sgt Notley was Medical Sgt. He moved up to the forward troop just after first light, and oin arrival he set to work,under fire,tending the wounded and organicing their evacuation.With another Sgt he made 3 attempts to rescue a seriously wounded man who was lying in the open covered by a sniper, only giving up when the wounded man was hit again and killed.On this occassion Sgt Notley deliberatley exposed himself to the snipers fire in order to carry out his job. Altogether Sgt Notley dresseed 20 men of all whom were exposed to incessant fire from the enemy. At 1400 hrs he was wounded in the eye while tending to a casualty.He refused a stretcher which was brought for him and though nerarly blind walked back himself to the MDS.(LG.19.04.45)
Olver,LC, 6286823, Pte,The Buffs,No.1Commando, MM.Arakan.At Hinthaya on 23rd November 1944, this young soldier in action for the first time in his excitement got ahead of his sub-section. A party of some 10 Japanese crossed his front He engaged them with his TMC,wounding their leader who was an officer. He then saw a an enemy section post about 30 yds to his left manned by 4 men. He threw a grenade at them SIZE="1" COLOR="#008800"> stunning one and then killed the other three with his TMC. This enabled his sub-section to capture a prisoner, who was not much hurt and who gave most valuable infornation. His skill at arms and his dash were amagnificent example to the men of his sub-section. (LG.22.03.45)
Rabbitt,EW, 58874633, Gnr,Royal Artillery,No.1Commando, MM.Arakan.On 12th November, 1944 at Alethangyaw(Sheet 1/25000 map ref 387271) the patrol of which Gnr Rabbitt was a member came under heavy small arms fire from the front and from both flanks at close range when in open country.When the officer in charge of the patrol, who was leading, when wounded,Gnr Rabbitt, who was his batman, doubled forward under intense fire with complete disregard for his own safety, applied first aid and attempted to drag the officer to safety.With the subsequent assistance of other men of the patrol the officer was successfully evacuated.Although in the open and undewr intense fire at short range, throughout the action,Gnr Rabbitt, through his own initiative and complete disregard for his own safety , set an example to the remainder of the patrol, which resulted in the wounded officer being saved from falling into enemy hands. Gnr Rabbitt is 19 yrs of age and this was the first time he had been in action. (LG.22.03.45)
Roast,SA 11268880,Gnr,Royal Artillery,No.1Commando, MM. On 31st January 1945 at Hill 170, Kangaw ,Gnr Roast was No.1 on the bren gun in the foremost weapon pit of his position which was being constantly rushed and grenaded.His no.2 on the gun was wounded early in the action, and 2 men who subsequently came in to act as No.2 were either killed or wounded .Gnr Roast carried on firing on his own in spiteof being on the forward slope by himself with a Jap MMG facing him only 20 yds away. He only withdrew when the battle had finished ands his position was taken over by relieving troops.He had fired over 70 magazines.It was largely due to his high sense of duty that the position was not over run (LG.19.04.45)
Scantlebury,J,Cpl,Middlesex Regt, No.1 Commando, MM.On 23rd February 1943 in the area of Cemetery Hill(-) the Germans carried out an assaultin force on the left flank of the troop of No.1 Commando. The attack was put in with great determination from the rear left.Cpl Scantlebury was the No.2 of a MMG supporting B'Sub-section of Morgans Troopon the left. When the attack opened up this NCO immediately brought fire to bear on the enemy. However as the Germans were advancing with complete disregard to his own safety took the belt box and sat on the parapet of the gun pit from which position he fed the gun. This action anabled the gun to brought to bear on the enemy and the resulting fire was instrumental in beating off the attack. The gun position was under heavy fire throughout the engagement and the attack was so determined that some enemy were found dead within 20 yds of the gun. The great courage, coolness, and devotion from being over run.(LG.22.04.43)
Scott, A,Pte, 2938003, Cameron Highlanders, No.1 Commando, MM(Immediate) Action at Monte Faita, night 2nd-3rd February 1944 Map Ref 858043, Italy 1/50000 sheet 160 II. During which action Pte Scott's Troop captured an enemy Company Hq,Pte Scott was rendered unconscious by the blast a shell. When he recovered consciousness the Commando had withdrawn after heavy casualties and the position had been reoccupied by the enemy. In full view of the enemy position, however,he immediately started to attend to wounded men who it had been impossible to evacuate during the withdrawl.When he saw that the posiiton had been reoccupied by the enemy, Scott unhesitatingly advanced to the position to obtain assistance for the injured, and although unarmed, took seven of the enemy occupants of the position prisoner.He persuaded the prisoners to carry 5 wounded men into a house where he compelled the prisoners to dress their wounds. Scott remained in the enemy with the wounded and prisoners until our own stretcher parties came forward and with their assistance he organised the prisoners into stretcher bearer parties to carry the casualties back to our lines. By approaching the enemy position unarmed and single handed and taking 7 prisoners ,Scott showed outstanding courage and his actions were responsible for saving the lives of a t least 5 casualties.(LG.29.06.44)
Sincup AW, 4035009,L/Sgt,KSLI,No.1 Commando, MM. Arakan on 31st January 1945 near Kangaw L/Sgt Sincup was section Sgt of a platoon counter-attacking the enemy.When his platoon officer was wounded he took command of the two dead leading sections of the platoon and atatcked an enemy post,personally killing 5 of the enemy of whom one was an officer.He then rallied the sections, evacuating 5 of his men who were wounded and made 2 attempts to bring in another wounded man who was covered by enemy machine gun and sniper fire. He then took up part of the defence of the forward right flanl and by his leadership and personal example he held this flank,helping with other troops to break up determined enemy attacks.He rmained with his sections ui n this position constantly engaged with the enemy for ten hours until relieved by another unit.(LG.19.04.45)
Southworth,JCH, 4079448,L/Sgt,SWB,No.1 Commando, MM.(Periodic) On the afternoon of 27th Feb 1943 Davidsons Troop No.1 Commando put in an attack on the steep side of a hill north of the Sedjanane Valley.L/Sgt Southworth was i/c sub-section of this troop.The troop was attacked under very heavy machine gun fire and several times were pinned down.Finally theposition was taken by assault and L/Sgt Southworth led his section in the forefront of the asssault.During this actionm he was severely injured in the leg and although in great pain he still led his section forward and urged them on.The assault was successful The hgreat powers of leadership, courage and devotion to duty displayed by this this NCO was largely responsible for the success of the assault.(LG.23.09.43)
Stewart,JC,6970882 Fus,R.Welch Fusiliers, No.1 Commando, MM.Op. Bizerte 1st-5th Dec 1942 Fus Stewart was with Lt Scaramanga throughout the operation and stayed with him to ambush some AFV's which had been engaging the troop.He stayed in an exposed position and let the AFV's come 50 yds of him before he opened fire with an anti-tank rifle, and obtained at least 3 other direct hits on them. Afterwards when cut off woth Lt Scaramanga and 2 other men from the remainder of his troop , he showed a great cheerfulness and stamina in the subsequent march across most difficult country to rejoin our forces.Throughout the operation he showed great keeness and determination in engaging the enemy.(LG.18.03.43)
Webb,GH, 14604144,Pte,RWK, No.1 Commando, DCM. Arakan 1945 On 31st Jan 1945 near Kangaw Pte Webb was amember of the leading section of a platoon ordered to counter-attack on the right flank.They came under intense MMG and grenade fire.The platoon officer and Sergeant were mortally wounded and the remainder of the section became casualties.Unperturbed by the intense fire he showed great coolness and presence of mind supervising the evacuation of many wounded.He succeeded in locating ans evacuating all the casualties except his platoon officer and Sgt. After being ordered to withdraw he volunteered to go forward once more to search for the Platoon Sgt.After repeated attempts amid showers of enemy grenades he was persuaded to come back and stayed with the remainder of his platoon.Shortly afterwards a man was killed at his side in the act of throwing a grenade.Pte Webb picked up the grenade and threw it just before it went off.His courage and coolness the whole day were of a very high order.(LG.19.04.45)
Williams,JA,4032283, Pte,KSLI , No.1 Commando, MM. (1) Recommendation for MM.This soldier is a No.1 on the bren gun.During the battle on Hill Point 231 on 2nd March 1943 the enemy atttacked his troop in large numbers.Displaying great coolness and courage Pte Williams succeeded in silencing 2 of the enemys machine gun positions.When the order to withdraw was given Pte Williams stayed behind his bren gun to cover the withdrawl of his sub-section. Having successfully covered his withdrawal he then advanced under heavy fire to silence 2 more machine gun positions which were harrassing our withdrawing troops.(2)Recommendation for DCM. On the 4th March 1943 during the battle of Mine near Sedjanane his troop was over-run by superior numbers of the enemy and once again Pte Williams covered the withdrawal of his troop. After the troop had withdrawn he remained in position until all of his ammunition was exhausted, when he withdrew taking with him hiusbren gun and magazines. At all times this man's courage and devotion to duty has been an example to all.< Awarded MM - LG22.04.43>