Barks,WJ,Po.X.102116. Mne, 42 Commando RM, MM(Immediate) Arakan 1945-pAt Hill 170 near Kangaw on 31st January 1945 during a counter attack by his troop when all three of his officers and his TSM had become casualties Marine Barks took charge of a party of Marines and with great determination held a sector of the positions gained against repeated attacks.he pulled out a large number of wounded and remained in charge until the evening,when the party was relieved.His self reliance and fighting spirit were a splendid example to the remaining men.Recommended for DCM awarded MM (LG.05.45)

Chappell,AB, Ex.X.4371. Mne, 42 Commando RM, MM Mne Chappell was a member of a small patrol party of 42 Commando RM landed on the Jap occupied Elizabeth Island in the Bay of Benegal with the object of gaining information about missing Naval Officer and also capturing a prisoner. They landed at 2200 hours on 4th November and were taken to be taken off five and a half hours later. On landing the patrol penetrated to the enemy headquarters in the village of Ondaw approximately four miles away.They were detected and a short engagement ensued during which at least three of the enemy(....)casualties without loss to the patrol. During thewithdrawal Mne Chappell as bren gunner was covering the rear ,and by mischance became detached.On attempting to rejoin he was ambushed and realising that he was now cut off from the rendezvous he evaded capture by lying up in the jungle in spite of his narrow escape mne Chappell had clung to his bren gun ,and his morale being undiminished ,he decided to make best use of the day he must now spend on the island with this in view he made his way to a Commanding position from which he quickly realised that the information given the patrol to relative to the enemy strength was on the island was quite incorrect. Mne Chappell counted 43 Japanese in one party and estimated the total strength at over 100.He also located a headquarters and a number of occupied positions.That night he signalled from the rendezvous without result and from then on he endured five days of unremitting strain. The enemy had been disturbed and was now suspicious and alert.Continually Mne Chappell changed his position ,often avoiding discovery by a hairbreadth ,wet through ,hungry,and alone.Once whilst snatching a quick sleep he was disturbed by a nearby Japanese patrol obviously searching for him .he opened fire with his bren gun immediately and used two grenades at short range but was wounded by a retaliatory Jap grenade, thismade him decide to break off the engagement.On doing so he was shot in the left calf at 1 yds range by a Jap whom he promptly killed with his Colt automatic.He then managed to get away successfully.On taking stock he found that he had but seven rounds left for his bren and two magazines for his pistol.He had been wounded three times in the left leg(twice by grenade fragments) and once in the side.These wounds he treated with his field dressing It had been raining almost incessantly and in spite of all efforts the bren gun was now very rusty.However his freedom from capture in this period was probally due to the terrible weather conditions ,one patrol passing within a couple of feet of him in the pouring rain. On the fifth night he made his way between two previously noted listening posts aand stole a small sampan.This proved to be leaky.After almost 24 hours using an improvised paddle he sighted land and was promptly wrecked on some rocks,losing his weapons and boots.He managed to swim to shore and was by then utterly exhausted.In the morning he discovered that he was on another island.During the next three days he grew much weaker,became delirious and suffered from halucination and by the tenth day his need for food was so great that he abandoned his former caution and finding a Burmese homestead he appealed for help.He was betrayed by the Headsman and led him into an ambush of six Japanese soldiers.During ten days of ever present danger without food and under appalling conditions Mne Chappell had shown daring,initiative and resiource to the highest degree,retaining his weapons and his offensive spirit to the last whilst his devotion to duty and determination were in the highest tradition of the service.Prisoner of War 14th Novenmber 1944(LG.19.03.46)
Fellowes,HD, Capt Bt Major, Lt-Col , 42 Commando RM, DSO(Immediate) Arakan 1945 At Myebon on 12th January 1945 the Unit of which Lt Col Fellowes was in command was the first toland. The landing was effected under the most extraordinary difficulties due to the beach obstacles, mines and knee deep mud,which caused an operation which is normally a matter of seconds to take an abnormal length of time. nevertheless the Unit ,which was under fire for the first time, cleared the beach defences and pushed on inland to their second objective. Lt Col Fellowes then led them in a successful attack on a hill inland,in which he was wounded, refusing to be evacuated until the position was consolidated. The magnificent steadiness and efficiency of this unit is entirely due to this officers stroing character and determination. he has been throughout an inspiration to his men.(LG.19.04.45)

Fellowes,HD,Lt , 42 Commando RM, MM Companion of the Order of the Bath (LG.1957)

Fenton,E, Ex.X.1300,Cpl, 42 Commando RM, MM Arakan 1945. During the Daingbon operation in Burma from 25th January to 1st February 1945,Cpl Fenton was in charge of the unit transport .For the whole of the period he was based at the foot of Hill 170 and continually volunteered to drive his truck from that feature to the beach and back with rations ammunition and casualties, in spite of the fact that the road was under harassing fire. On one occasion another truck broke down in the road and Cpl fenton immediately backed his truck along the eroad,which was being shelled at the time ,and took the other truck in tow.On the morning of 31st January 1945 after the enemy counter attack, he brought upammunition for the tanks which was urgently needed,although the shelling was and sniping was still heavy,and was ever anxious to take his load as near to the scene of the action as possible. His personal initiative,coolness and determination in carrying out his dangerous duties both by day and night were an example to the other drivers under his command,many of whom had not been under fire before.(LG.15.05.45)
Herbert,TH, 7265184,L/Cpl, RAMC, 42 Commando RM, MM(Immediate) Arakan 1945 At Hill 170 near Kangaw on 31st January 1945 L/Cpl Herbert's Troop was committed to a counter attack at a critical stage of the battle.The forward platoon immediately met with heavy casualties ,the troop eventually losing all three officers and the TSM.L/Cpl herbert repeatedly went forward under heavy fire to bring in and attend to the wounded; ignoring a head wound which was bleeding freely,continued to work at high pressure for a period of over four hours until completely exhausted.His energy and devotion to duty were largely responsible for the successful evacuation of so many of the heavy casuialties suffered by his troop.(LG.19.04.45).
Russell,RF,Ch.X.3093. Mne, 42 Commando RM, MM(Immediate) Arakan 1945 near Kangaw on 31st January ,Cpl Russell was commander of a section which was ordered forward to reinforce troops of another Commando who had suffered severe casualties.Under heavy fire from 2 machine guns and 4 snipers and with numerous enemy grenades landing in his position ,he reorganised his section who had suffered 4 casualties and drove off repeated enemy attacks.Although wounded twice he did not go back to the Regimental Aid Post for medical attention until there was a lull in the battle two hours later.This Corporal's cheerfulness throughout and inspiring leadership did much to restore a critical situation.Recommended for DCM awarded MM.(LG.15.05.45)
Snow,HT, 7403421, L/Cpl, RAMC, 42 Commando RM, MM At Myebon on 15th January 1945 L/Cpl Snow showed the greatest determination and devotion to duty.When the troop to which he was attached came under heavy fire from 3 concealed machine guns, the Commanding Officer, two troop officers and 5 other ranks became casualties in a very short time.Ehile trying to rally a stretcher party ,he was himself wounded in the arm which bled freely.When the second in command ordered him to the rear he refused saying he still had a good arm.He thereupon continued to organise the treatment of the casualties,refusing morphia so that he could carry on.he did not go to the Regimental Aid Post until all the wounded had been evacuated. His courage and tenacity was an inspiration in a most difficult situation and did much to steady the men. Recommended for DCM awarded MM.(LG.19.04.45)
Welsh,HJ, Ex.X.1217 Ty/CSM, 42 Commando RM, DCM (Immediate) At Arakan 1945 At Hill 170 near Kangaw on 31st January ,TSM Welsh's Troop were called upon to reinforce No.1 Commando at a critical period when the enemy seemed likely to gain a footing on the crest of the hill.They were ordered to put in a counter attack,which they did with great dash,the Troop Commander,the Platoon Commander of the leading platoon,and alll but one of the forward section on the left soon being killed.TSM Welsh took over charge and reorganised the troops,his remaining Platoon Commander having by then also been hit.Himself occupying a forwrd trench he repeatedly drove off counter attacks with grenades and Tommy gun fire until he was twice wounded.It was only after he had pulled out a number of casualties that he went back to the Regimental Aid Post refusing a stretcher.His aggressive spirit ,complete disregard for hispersonal safety and inspiring leadership did much to hold together the remains of the troop.(LG.15.05.45)